domingo, 17 de febrero de 2008

Snow is now

18 septiembre 2007

Snow is now

Winter caught him, unaware, defenseless like the rabbit hanging by the ears. Everywhere he can see is all white. Snow covers the landscape and freezes his last hope of returning home. -How could this be? So much I travelled, and when I'm finally at the end of the journey I got lost. This bloody snow. Who in hell had said snow is cute? Damn it! - In the last few days, as the cold gets colder and his rations get smaller he started to talk to himself. He did not really know if he was trying to avoid madness or if he was already mad. Old Pete did not care either. He just was worried about how to hunt something to eat. He was catching rabbits. As it was a sudden winter - or as he called it, a "you must be kidding winter" - it surprised him, but also surprised the rabbits. Therefore he was able to follow the brown fur of the confused little animals.
- This winter caught me unaware, but you weren't prepared either, huh? My little brown dinner. - Now he was speaking to the rabbit he was holding by the ears. - Don't look me like that! I'm sorry man, but you've done the same thing to those vegetables you eat. Do you think the do not have feelings? Do you think they do not have feelings? Or family? Well, you're right, they probably haven't. I'm sorry man, but this is what it has to be. Goddamn Pete, you're talking to a rabbit! You definitely got mad. Well, I do not care if I live. I'm sorry pal. - *SMACK*
Then he started looking for somewhere to make fire. It was really hard to get dry wood, but he did not like raw rabbit. Besides, a good fire will scare wolves, bears and unexpected guests. Also, someone may see the smoke and come to his rescue. That was a remote posibility, but hope is the last stand.
After searching a lot he found a tall rock that kept the floor dry. He was traying to make fire. - Ha ha, Pete! I would never say you were so skillful. Oh it's nothing. So much time in the road make you hard as steel. Ha ha ha! - He drew his knife. The snow was tinted in red. As Pete was trying to cook his meal a shadow appeared over him - Who's there? Show yourself! - A strange man appeared. He was dressed in green, a long coat covering his knees. The snow covered most of it, like a camouflage. He was really thin, but he did not seem weak In his slim face two green eyes glow. Some may say his sight will melt stone. He was looking at the rabbit in the fire.
-Hello? Do you speak my language? - The stranger stare at him, looking surprised, as if he did not expected to find anybody near a fire.
- Greetings, venerable lord. I apologize for interrupting your meal
-Huh? What do you mean venerable? I am not that old! Although they call me old Pete... Whatever...
- I am so sorry sir. My name is Jacen Greenseeker. I must be leaving now. Good day sir.
- Hey lad wait a second! Please take a sit and join me in my humble meal.
- Thank you so much sir, I do not deserve such honor.
- Shut up and take a piece of this. You need to eat something, you seem hungry.
- Thank you sir.
- Also drink all the wine you want. It'll keep you warm.
- Thank you.
Jacen took the piece of rabbit Pete offered him. For a moment he just looked at the meat. Maybe he was thinking it may be poisoned, or he was making a prayer. Also, he may be vegetarian in time of great need and eating flesh and bones disguste him. Then, without a word, he started eating while he stare Peter consistently. His eyes were moss-green, and Pete felt like his soul was being read. He suddendly need to talk.
-So, boy, are you from these hills and valleys? Do yo know them well?
-No sir.
- Maybe from that city, Abzug. It is south here, right?
- I do not know. I apologize.
- So, you are as lost as I, aren't you?
- While there is a path to follow I am never lost.
- Yeah, but the snow covers all.
- I am one with the snow. It leads me. Until I finish my task.
- Task?
- I beg you not to tell this, but I am a Greenseeker. I will find a land of grass and trees for my people to live in peace.
- Huh? I think this is a nice place. Just wait to the winter to be over.
- Winter never ends for me.
- Sorry?
- Nevermind.
They finished their meal in silence. Hearing the wind in the leaves and the silence in the night. It was snowing again. Pete look at his young partner and for a moment, shorter than the blink of the eye, he saw an animal being through the snow. Nor animal nor beast, He had hair covering his body and was dressed in green and was all covered by snow.
-Man I'm tired. I'm going to sleep. You're gonna think I'm mad, for a moment I... well, forget it. I've just drank too much wine. Good night.
Prey of a giant's sleep plus the wine and the tired he was he felt almost inmediatly asleep. When he woke up he saw Jacen sitting exactly as he was when he went to sleep. He would say the greenseeker did not move during the night. Or maybe he sleeps just like that... or he did not sleep at all.
They started walking very early in the morning. Pete was still lost, but Jacen seemed to know where to go. Finally they reached a little frozen water stream.
- Good sir, follow the stream and you will found your pairs. I assure you.
- Ooo.. thanks. Good luck in your green thing. We will meet again?
- I hope not. For your sake.
And he left, without a sound. Pete started walking, following the water. For a while he walked in silence, hearing nothing. Untill he heard water flowing. The stream got alive. Then, without warning it started raining. The snow melt in seconds.
-This by far the strangest thing I've ever seen
Walk by the sea, see with the heart hear with your soul. Snow is now
---- Bahn Greenseeker, first of the Oak Elders

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Again, and again the post of every year

 Aunque el blog esté cuasi abandonado, creo que merece la pena hacer el post de todos los años. Al menos uno, que luego siempre es interesan...